We all know that first impressions are extremely important when you start to date someone new. This is especially true on the first date. We all want to make a good impression on our first date, so we want to be sure that we dress properly, have good small talk, and do all that we can to show off our best side. But how do you know if you made a good impression? Is there a way you can tell if you made a good impression on a first date?
First Impression Matters
We’ve all been there at one time or another. We had a first date, maybe even a second, and then there was nothing. No texts, no calls, and certainly no plans for a third or fourth date. How do we get to that third date? What’s the secret to making the second date, the third date, all the way to the end? No one can tell you the right answer for your specific situation, but here are several tips and hints that can help you avoid making a bad impression and help you make a good one instead:
- Be prepared. It’s a good idea to arrive a few minutes early so that you’re not waiting around for your date. Don’t forget to bring a pen and a piece of paper. You may want to take notes to help you remember things that you talked about later.
- Be honest. Don’t try to act like someone you’re not. If you don’t like sushi, don’t order it.
- If you want to make your date comfortable, you might want to call them by their name to personalize the conversation.
- Smartphones are great, but it’s important to take a break from them. If you’re out with someone, be present with them instead of burying your nose in your phone.
- Learn the body language: Most people are unaware of the way their body language affects their interactions with others. It’s important to know that there are actions that you take before you even speak that transmit your feelings and opinions about a person.
- The best way to bring the conversation around to your date is to ask them questions about themselves. Asking open-ended questions can get them talking, but listening closely to the answers is also important.
- If you don’t pay attention to what your date is saying, you might miss an important fact or two. The trick is to do that and still make it seem like you’re paying attention to your date. How? By being observant and thoughtful.
- It might seem like common sense, but making eye contact with your date is an essential part of making a good impression. If you’re shy, it may be awkward at first, but you’ll be surprised at how quickly it gets easier. Most people (who aren’t trying to be offensive or flirty) tend to make eye contact and smile naturally when talking to someone they’re attracted to. When you’re on a date with someone you’re attracted to, it’s natural to look at their lips and eyes. If you feel your date is making unpleasant or uncomfortable eye contact with you, try to make a joke next time.
- A good, firm handshake can be the key to a successful first impression. The first time you meet someone, you usually introduce yourself, shake hands, and give a firm handshake. This is an opportunity to make a good first impression. If you are nervous about shaking hands, you need to know what to do.
- It’s easy to make that initial connection with someone you’ve just met, but it’s important to take time and get to know that person on a deeper level before you give away too much, too soon. The more time you spend with someone, the more they’ll be able to ask you the right questions in order to get to know you better, and the more you’ll be able to evaluate whether they are the right person for you.
Making a good impression on a first date is important. It’s not just about how you look, but how you act as well. The way you act can make or break your chances of landing that job or getting that date. Show the person you’re with that you’re a good person. Don’t be rude or loud, and don’t spread gossip about anyone. And if you’re at a restaurant, don’t spend the entire time on your phone. And if you’re at a club, don’t forget to dance with your date.